Optoelectronics market overview
Optoelectronics is the branch of electronics that combines optics and electronics. Devices can be divided into two categories – light-sensitive devices and light-generating devices.
Optoelectronic devices can be used in two major end-markets – solid state lighting and photovoltaics.
Some of the common light-sensitive devices used in electronic circuits are photodiodes, phototransistors, light sensitive resistors, photovoltaic cells, and more. Light-generating optoelectronic devices include Laser Diode, High Brightness Light Emitting Diode (HB-LED), Organic LED (OLED),…etc. Some devices combine both the principles of sensitive and light generating devices like Light Dependent Resistors (LDR), Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD), optoisolators, optoreflectors and more.
CORIAL has been providing equipment and processes for the optoelectronics industry for more than 12 years.
CORIAL etch and deposition technologies are designed to handle the wide range of materials required for optoelectronic devices fabrication, including sapphire, GaN, Si3N4 and SiO2.
Unmatched process flexibility for optoelectronics manufacturing
Expertise for sapphire patterning on 4" and 6" wafers
Low cost of ownership
We have broad experience processing a wide range of materials with precise control of the etch profile, fast etch rates, and excellent etch uniformity.
GaN etch for Mesa structuring (LED manufacturing)
- Etch rate 650 nm/min
- Etch depth 1.5 µm
- Uniformity ± 3%
GaN etch for device isolation
- Etch depth 7 µm
- Etch rate 1200 nm/min
- Uniformity ±2 %
Sapphire etch for PSS application
- Etch rate 100 nm/min
- Edge exclusion 2 mm
- Uniformity ±2 %
The optoelectronics industry necessitates the use of a wide range of dielectric films.
Depositing thin SiO2 and Si3N4 films used as passivation or current blocking layers, CORIAL delivers processes that ensure tight control of film stress (tensile to compressive), and fast deposition rates without any compromise in deposition uniformity, or film quality (low BOE etch rates for SiO2, low KOH and TMAH etch rates for Si3N4).
Fast and high-temperature SiO2 deposition (hard mask)
- 1 µm thick deposited at 280°C
- Deposition rate 110 nm/min
- Refactive index 1.68
Si3N4 deposition at low RF (photodiodes)
- RF power 20 W
- Deposition rate 5 nm/min
- Refractive index 1.81
Low-temperature SiC film deposition (OLED)
- Deposition rate 30 nm/min
- Deposition at 80°C
- Stress 10 ± 50 MPa
- ICP-RIE etch system with load-lock
- Fast etch rates for III-VI compounds
- Cluster configuration for integration on the Corial PS200
- PECVD system with in-situ plasma cleaning
- Low temperature PECVD on organics
- High temperature SiO2, Si3N4, SiOCH, SiOF, SiC and aSi-H films deposition
- Same capabilities as Corial D250, plus vacuum load-lock for higher throughput
- Large area RIE etch system
- Manual loading for batch up to 7 x 100 mm wafers
- GaAs, GaP, InP, GaN and AlGaN etch
- ICP-RIE etch system for 24/7 production environment
- Load-lock for batch up to 7 x 100mm wafers
- Fast etching rates for sapphire, III-V compounds
- PECVD deposition system for 24/7 production environment
- Manual loading for up to 300 mm wafers
- High quality SiO2, Si3N4, SiOCH, SiOF, SiC and aSi-H films deposition
- Same capabilities as Corial D350, plus vacuum load-lock for higher throughput
- Very large area PECVD deposition system
- High throughput: 104x2’’ ; 25x4’’ ; 9 x 6’’ or plates up to 500 mm x 500 mm